Certified Nursing Assistant
PRN, Days (flexible
PAM Specialty Hospital of Las
The Certified Nursing
Assistant is responsible for performing various patient
care activities and accommodative services under the general
supervision of a Registered or Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurse.
Performs patient care activities within the limits of the position.
Does not administer medications or therapy. Does not assume
independent responsibility for patient care. Job duties are
accomplished in a manner consistent with the policies, procedures
and guidelines of Post Acute Medical. Performs other related duties
as assigned or requested.
• In collaboration with
licensed staff, organizes patient care and general unit activities
to accomplish required functions; prioritizes workload, answers
call lights promptly, and completes assignments in a timely
• Provides an appropriate environment for the provision of nursing
care to individual patients by maintaining the patient rooms in an
orderly manner and by assisting in the maintenance of a neat work
• Provides designated patient care to assigned patients under the
direct supervision of a licensed nurse, based on previously
acquired skills, according to physicians’ orders, and in
conformance with approved patient care standards.
• Assesses vital signs and reports significant changes to licensed
nurse. Documents on appropriate worksheets.
• Records intake and output for assigned patients on nursing
worksheets and notifies licensed nurse when intake or output is
unusually high or low.
• Records care given as well as observed responses to treatment,
including patient’s participation in ADLs. Data is complete,
accurate and comprehensive.
• Assists with the distribution and collection of patient
nourishments and meal trays.
• Assists patients with feeding, but does not provide any enteral
• Assists patients with activities of daily living, to include:
oral care, bathing, positioning, transferring, and elimination;
reports any observed change in patients’ conditions to the licensed
nurse in a timely manner.
• Completes patient care assignments with special focus on
maintaining patient rights; appropriate dental/oral care; special
precautions in use of restraints and safety devices; dynamics of
death and dying; care of immobilized patients to maximize function;
care related to potential sensory deficits –audio, visual, and
• Applies principles of infection control in the provision of
• Applies principles of growth and development, over the lifespan,
to identify patient and caregiver needs relative to age-specific
needs by adapting patient care to the needs of the patient
• Consistently implements standards for the skilled nursing unit
that promote the maintenance of patient rights to include: special
patient rights applicable to a skilled nursing unit; identification
and reporting of any suspected patient abuse; explanation of
patient expectations; explanation of process of nursing care;
maintenance of confidentiality; adaptation of care for all ages of
patients served, as noted above; ethical considerations;
appropriate reporting of patient complaints.
• Initiates personal learning activities to increase understanding
& update appropriate skills through both formal and informal
Education and Training:
High school graduate or equivalent preferred. Certification as a
nursing assistant (CNA) where required by state where the hospital
resides. Current BLS certification is required.
Experience: None required.
A minimum of two (2) to three (3) years of experience in an acute
hospital, rehabilitation hospital, or skilled nursing unit is
Knowledge, Skills, and
• Verbal ability to
effectively express ideas and views for communication with (as
appropriate) pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients,
visitors, and staff members.
• Ability to read and write English language including basic
medical terminology and abbreviations.
• Ability to document appropriately on worksheets provided by
• Cognitive ability to make judgments and problem solve.
• Organizational ability to complete nursing tasks in a timely and
• Capacity to relate to people in a manner to win confidence and
• Flexibility to adjust to changing conditions and the various
details of the job.